Week 2 - The Buddhist Vegetarian Kitchen


The Buddhist Vegetarian Kitchen - Scarborough
Thursday evening of January 10th, I was in Scarborough for a doctor's appointment and ended up picking up some medication that was to be taken with food. The pharmacist instructed that I began the medication that night, so I figured while I was already out, I might as well start my search for a vegan/vegetarian restaurant to try out nearby.

Hello "Urbanspoon" app on my iPhone.

The app suggested "The Buddhist Vegetarian Kitchen" as the closest vegan restaurant nearby which was located on Midland and Finch. I know that area! They've also got some great Hot Pot and Korean BBQ! But back to VeganLand....

It's a small cozy restaurant, can fit maybe no more than 40 heads. When I stepped in, there were only a few tables but all full with groups of 4 or 5. I felt guilty for taking up a table for 4 all by myself. Their menu offered a generous amount of "vegetarian/vegan" dinners and appetizers. Some vegetarian soup probably would have made the most sense for me that night considering my illness (1 week before that night I was blessed with strep throat) but I was too excited and eager to venture some tasty vegan-ness that I couldn't settle for a boring soup.

Vegetarian Dim Sum

So I ordered vegetarian dim sum as a starter and the vegetarian squid in black bean sauce for my main dish. Like most Dim Sum restaurants, you would probably order a side bowl of rice as the main dish is usually served on a big plate that can serve an entire family. I skipped the bowl of rice since I was only planning on having a few bites and then taking the rest to go.

The waitress prepared my appetizer from a cart filled with other side dishes by the window (you can kind of see it in my first photo) which I thought was interesting. For a starter, it was a lot. So much that I forgot what I had ordered as my main dish and began to assume that it was all there on that plate. It was served cold and on a bed of sweet raw something which I couldn't exactly make out, but it was delicious! I was extremely grateful that the texture was soft because my throat was extremely sore so it was hard enough to enjoy it as it was!

Vegetarian Squid with Black Bean Sauce

Then came the vegetarian squid in black bean sauce with mixed vegetables and mushrooms. It was extremely tasty! And it wasn't just a plate of veggies where you could count how many pieces of squid was on there. No, that entire plate was full of squid! I just wish I had it with rice! The portion was massive and definitely worth the $7.95...I think that's how much it was....

I would probably rate them a 4/5, mainly because of the generous amount of options provided on their menu, cheap pricing, quick service, and you can never complain when everything is served with free tea  :)


**All photo's are taken by me from my iPhone :)



Follow Me On:





No comments:

Post a Comment